Saturday 14 May 2011

The Changeling

I'm rather late in discovering this beautiful film, not only was it visually amazing but emotionally too. It's a story set in the late 1920's (mostly the 30's) about a missing boy whos mother is desperate for his return, the LAPD claim to have found her son- only when they are reunited she states that he is not her son. The LAPD refuse to accept this and Christine Collins is interned in a psychiatric unit for trying to shame the police. I would tell the whole story but I'm not one for ruining films.

What I found most amazing is that it's a true story with its script and plot taken from original LAPD records and newspapers, I love the fact that for once someone (Clint Eastwood) has decided to produce a film that is a true story, not just loosly based on one. It's an emotional film but definatly one of my favourites and it's one that shocked me with its truth and history and if you haven't seen it, do - it's brilliant. Not only is it a great story it shows the attitudes of the era- how independent woman were seen (when Collins was taken into the mental institution the doctor told her 'Something is wrong with you. You're an independent woman') and political corruption in an era we often look back on as being innocent and care free.

I also have to mention my favourite line of this film which was said in the face of the psychiatric doctor by Collins "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" defiantly not words for a lady but defiantly words of a strong woman. Angelina Jolie is excellent in this film, I'd say its one of her best and it's no wonder why she won best actress at the Academy Awards.


No comments:

Post a Comment