Monday 1 August 2011

The Gift Dress

Being a gift dress is nerve wracking, you never know whether you'll be loved or hated and that time wrapped in beautiful tissue paper in a box waiting for her to open you was the worst day of my life.

She was a nanny to a lovely Russian family and she'd worked for them for years and practically became one of them. They were a rich family and had over the years they had bought her many small gifts for birthdays and Christmas', including a silver opal ring and dainty little wrist watch. I was commisioned as one of those gifts, the lady of the household picked my colour- a coral pink silk and insisted I had to stand out from the crowd and be at the height of fashion, so I was embellished with dozens of orange and pink rose like swirls with silver thread and silver sequins. I took a few weeks to make, I was sewn by hand and the lady came to check on me to make sure I was right. Then I was finished, I was given the once over by both the seamstress and the lady and they both agreed I was perfect and I was delicately wrapped in tissue paper and placed in a box tied with ribbon and there I sat and waited, waited to be opened.

Now during this time a million thoughts run through your mind, will she like me, will she pretend to like me, will she point blank hate me. Will I ever be worn or will I be 'too special' and only saved for very special occasions. Anyway the time came, I worked out quite quickly I was a birthday dress, she opened me and carefully removed the paper and she fell in love, I saw and felt it instantly, I was her dream dress!

That night she wore me to the theatre, a gentleman came with us and I felt that she loved him with an excitement and longing that I've only just realised was the feeling of true love. That night I saw the wonderful night life of London and for once the nanny let her hair down, there was dinner, dancing and then the show. After the show we went to a glitzy hotel where the gentleman lived, they kissed and giggled and she made him take me off so delicately and lay me on the floor and the next thing I knew we were leaving in the morning after a breakfast of eggs and toast and she was going back to her usual job. She wears me a lot and cares for me, I love being hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment